I had an opportunity to attend an Olympic speed skating event 2 days ago, Feb 23, 2010 - Men's 10000 m . I wasn't actually too thrilled about it up until a few days beforehand when the hype of the Olympics finally got to me. Even then, i was only super excited about attending an event, not specifically the 10000 m race. Speed skating isn't/wasn't something I'm interested in, especially not 10000 m race as that means you get to see 2 guys skating around the rink 25 times. Doesn't sound that entertaining eh? Plus, there were no Canadians in that event so who would i cheer for? Anyway, i still went because it is a once in a lifetime kind of thing. To my surprise, it was actually quite fun. The first thing i noticed when I stepped into the oval was the sea of not red, but orange. I had no idea that speed skating is such a big thing in Netherlands. It was crazy in there! I swear i lost a bit of my hearing in the 3 hours that i was there for. Cheering, screaming, yelling, ringing, (insert onomatopoeia for horns)-ing, crying, cursing and of course the other thing i heard was silence. Silence from the utter shock and disappointment for Sven Kramer beating the Olympic record by 6 point something seconds, only to be disqualified because his coach gave him the wrong instructions for a lane change. Right after Kramer finished the race and his coach got a chance to speak to him, he took off his sunglasses and threw them on the ground. Me, being totally ignorant about the whole thing, thought he was sooooooo happy and in shock that he did so well so he threw his shades away. But of course, he was only FPH-ing. You can't really blame the guy though. 4 years of training JUST for this, and this tiny mistake that he made cost him a gold AND an Olympic record. Plus, it wasn't even his fault. If you watch the replay, he was wavering between the lanes, he knew he was suppose to go on the outside lane, but he hesitated and went on the inside, listening to his coach. Either way, his country got a medal, so it's not TOO bad. His disqualification allowed for his teammate to rise to podium and receive a bronze medal.
Right after the games and a late lunch I went and got the new Starfield CD! Even though i haven't gone through the whole album, it can easily be summarized by 2 words. Starfield = Awesome. Nothing else needs to be said.
I forgot to mention that this is my first CD EVER. Shocker, i know. I've gotten CD's before for other people, but I've just never gotten one for myself.
hahahah somehow...i KNEW you were gonna blog about this :D
ReplyDeletedid you know they did a live webcast on fb?! it was during the canada-russia hockey game
haha of course :P Yea, i watched it after though cause i had work.
ReplyDelete