Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Summer checkup

It's been a while since I last made a post and I've been meaning to do one since forever but just never got around to doing it. In fact, I actually have half a post typed up about the San Francisco trip that I typed up during the car ride back but i never got around to finishing it. I guess it won't ever be finished since i deleted it already.

In a nutshell, that post was me rambling about my dis-satisfactions of San Francisco and how even though I complain that Vancouver may be boring at times, it seems like heaven compared to down there. My main problem with San fran is the horrible weather and the super congested-ness of that city. The micro-climate there just drives you insane, or at least it did to me. The temperature fluctuates like a pregnant lady's mood! Holy smokes, it can be 10 degrees and suddenly elevate to 30 something degrees. Not to mention the climate is different from city to city, it can be freezing cold and foggy in Daly city and super hot in Berkeley. That's not even the worst of it. In the 5 days that we spent in San Fran, we couldn't see the Golden Gate bridge even though we drove passed it and on it several times. There was this perpetual fog that hovered over the city which covered essentially everything so that you couldn't ever see a thing if you went on top of a mountain. Foggy weather is one of my most hated weather type because i like to see things. As stupid as it may sound, seeing things is really important to me. I can't imagine what it would be like if I was blind. I don't raelly know how to explain it, but my vision is really important to me.

Anyway, back to the real intent of this post.

Even though it sort of feels like it just started, which it technically did since i did have summer school, summer is quickly coming to an end. To be truly honest, the idea of it ending kind of scares me, firstly because it seems like it just started, like i said before and that i haven't done much. Secondly, the end of summer means the start of school. Throughout the many years of schooling, I never really dreaded school to start. I might have not wanted my summer to end, but I never didn't want school to start. I liked school. I mean, i wasn't a keener in school or anything nor did I get top marks but school was never really a burden for me. It all changed last year though. In the beginning of the year, school was pretty cool and such, new school, new environment, new friends, pretty awesome. But, I'm not really sure why myself, but i lost all motivation for school not long after it started. Grades were definitely not up to asian standards and seeing those grades isn't exactly very motivating either. Anyway, it's going to be much better this year because i have a clear cut goal for myself academically unlike last year. Back to the checkup. Here's the list of goals i very loosely set for myself, which shouldn't have been the case...
- finish dancing with a ghost lol
- hopefully find and read at least 5 more books (most of you know reading isn't a big hobby of mine but i'm trying!)
- not lose contact with some of the people i haven't seen in a long time
- pass my summer school course with at least a "B" (my inner asian is telling me to go for the "A" though)
- stay in tune with the news and not tune out the world
- and find a freaking job!


Well, summer hasn't exactly ended yet so i'm pretty confident that i can still accomplish the first one. This time around, i'll be more strict on myself in terms of accomplishing these goals lol. 5 more books seem kind of impractical now that i only have 3?4? more weeks left so i'll be really happy if i finish dancing with a ghost and hp 7 AND possibly another one i have yet to find.Even tough i haven't seem some of them in person, i still am emailing and what not, but i can definately work harder towards that. Lets just say i passed the course haha definately need to work on that one more (for the next school year). I am getting better at that, trying to read/watch the news more often. Well, seeing that i never used to do it, it's been good. As for a summer job, maybe i should just look for one for the coming school year haha.

edit: I forgot to talk about the guitar-ing one. Through my much wasted time, i've finally learnt how to play the guitar sort of, still lots of things to learn about but i'm happy with the progress. As for the bass, i still haven't gotten my hands on it yet haha still have a few weeks left so we'll see.


Speaking of goals, when i was chatting with a friend today, he reminded me that not only should i set goals for academics and in general, it's also really important that i do set goals for myself spiritually. It's weird how i never even thought about it so i guess it wasn't really a reminder, but he told me. I haven't exactly decided on a goal(s)yet but i do have something in mind. I'll make a post when i decide on one and hope you guys can keep me accountable :P (I honestly have no idea who even reads this thing other than the 3 followers)If you didn't catch that, i mean leave a comment!

1 comment:

  1. you forgot to mention that you found a job already! thanks to yours truly. haha.. jkjk!

    anywho, spiritual goals are good.. i never actually thought about setting those either.. maybe cuz i've never been a goal-setting type of person.. [cuz i feel like, since i'm never going to reach them anyway, why bother? but i find making to-do lists has helped lately.. especially with the millions of things i have to do in the little time i have to do it..] anyway, the real purpose of this paragraph.. maybe you could try to do devos/Bible reading everyday [unless you already do?] and set that goal and try to reach it. maybe you could try to be perpetually in prayer all day.. like, you know, short prayers, one-liners, etc. throughout the day, always being in contact with God. =)

    hope those ideas helped. when you decide, let me know, and i'll try to keep you accountable. =D

    ReplyDelete