Monday, January 4, 2010

I don't remember if I already talked about this, but I've sort of decided to pursue my studies in the field of social work, which is a separate school in UBC, but still under the faculty of arts (I'm not really sure how that works). One of the prerequisite courses for the program is social work 200, which i just finished last term. I had to get at least a 72% in that course to be even considered but i ended up just shy of 72%. It sucked. It sucked A LOT but i didn't give up quite yet. I talked to the social work program advisor and the admissions service people and they both said that i could take an online course at Thompson Rivers University in place of that course. I went on the TRU website to read up a bit about the course and it sounds even enough. 4 assignments, no quizes, no tests, midterms, or final AND you essentially get a free 20% because the first assignment is keeping a reflective journal throughout the course. It's a pass/fail assignment where you get 100% if you hand it in. Anyway, i wanted to sign up for the course but i wanted to double check with arts advising just to see how transfer credits worked just in case. However, I couldn't get a hold of them until this morning because they weren't open during the holidays. To my disappointment, I was told that i'm not allowed to take a course at another institute and be enrolled in courses at UBC concurrently, which means I either have to redo the course next year at UBC or take the online course in the summer. Either way, i can't apply to SOWK program until next year aW$jore%4!@h12rha#%Y$%Y!!!!!!! I have to waste another year in ubc for nothing! Either that, or I come up with a back up plan quick and go for that instead? Or get a BSW and and BA in something....? Either way i have to waste more money and time in ubc =="

On a side note, my camera STILL isn't here and it's been more than a week now! What a horrible day it's been =/

On a more positive note, I got an extra day to rest because i only have school on tuesdays and thursdays this term. yay!

4 comments:

  1. orrrrrrrr.. you could come to trinity and take a whole bunch of sweet courses! =)
    do you not have any core requirements or stuff that you HAVE to take that you haven't yet? and/or won't the courses you take this semester count as electives? or do you not have any? or are you done all your electives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basically, all you need is social 200 + 201 with a 72% min. in both. I took 200 last term and am going to take 201 this term

    ReplyDelete
  3. you only have two required courses?? for your entire degree?? whatha??

    ReplyDelete
  4. no......those 2 courses are the prereqs for the program. You need a 72% min in those 2 courses to qualify for the application.

    ReplyDelete